Key findings from the Gartner IT Key Metrics Data research report show:
- Of 19 industries, only five saw an increase in IT spend as a percentage of revenue.
- Software Publishing and Internet Services (6.7%) and Banking and Financial Services (6.3%) top the spend list.
- In the middle: Pharmaceuticals, Life Sciences and Medical Products (3.2%), Utilities (2.8%) and Transportation (2.6%)
- Energy (1.1%), and the Construction, Materials and Natural Resources (1.0%) sectors continue to spend the least.
- 56% of global IT budgets are spent on infrastructure and operations
- 34% of global IT budgets are spent on applications
- 10% of global IT budgets are spent on IT overhead